We are the 'Fruit'ure
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
We are the 'Fruit'ure

Healthier living from the minds of kids. Know the foods that lack!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Fast Food Project  
Welcome to the Kids for Health Forum! FONT>
Feel free to contact us through our forum and ask us about leading a healthy lifestyle!! We would love to help you out!

Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
okeefem99

okeefem99

Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food Empty
PostSubject: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 7:39 pm

If you have ever had our cafeteria food, (most people have,) you would probably have noticed that it's not always great. Halfway cooked or even cold food is common. Thay don't even make it themselves! Sometimes they even serve those cheesburgers in plastic bags. I don't know about you, but this makes me a little queasy.
Another thing I am worried about is desserts. The dessets are things like ice cream and cake. While they taste all right, and it's okay every one in a while, I don't think it's very healthy. There are other things that they could do that taste just as good!
I know that the lunch ladies work very hard, and there are a lot of kids to feed, but maybe there's a way to make it healthier. . . .

Ideas?????
Back to top Go down
okeefem99

okeefem99

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 7:41 pm

~ Raise money for bigger/better ovens so the food is actulally cooked
~ Find a farm close to home that grow fresh fruit so that our bananas don't come from a country really far away
~ Suggust healthier desserts (starwberries with whipped cream instead of a melted ice cream cup) and keep cake/ice cream limited
Back to top Go down
Anne E.
Powerhouses
Anne E.

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 3:27 pm

I agree. I have been to schools where there are vending machines in the hallways filled with soda and candy! Luckily my school doesn't have this kind of enviroment, but that doesn't mean we should forget about the schools that aren't as lucky as mine! We need to raise awareness!
Back to top Go down
Taylor Marie
Powerhouses
Taylor Marie

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 6:26 pm

yeah really, the hot dogs bounce!!!
Back to top Go down
https://kidsforhealth.forumotion.com
Anne E.
Powerhouses
Anne E.

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 12:06 pm

@tay~I know right?! That was sooooo weird.......and gross!
@everybody~The hamburgers in a bag my school had a few times were sooooo greasy!
Back to top Go down
Anne E.
Powerhouses
Anne E.

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 12:08 pm

okeefem99 wrote:
~ Find a farm close to home that grow fresh fruit so that our bananas don't come from a country really far away
~ Suggust healthier desserts (starwberries with whipped cream instead of a melted ice cream cup) and keep cake/ice cream limited

Well, we can do that with apples and strawberries, but bananas don't grow in the US, they come from South America.
Back to top Go down
Taylor Marie
Powerhouses
Taylor Marie

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Raising money would be a very good thing to do, but remember, it is also time consuming and would be a year-long effort. If you don't have the time or the perserverance to stick through with it, then it might not be the best idea. If you do, then go right ahead and change the world one school cafeteria at a time!
Back to top Go down
okeefem99

okeefem99

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Anne E. wrote:
okeefem99 wrote:

Well, we can do that with apples and strawberries, but bananas don't grow in the US, they come from South America.

Okay, but my point is that we can find a farm so any type of fruit or vegatble isn't far away.
Back to top Go down
okeefem99

okeefem99

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Taylor Marie wrote:
yeah really, the hot dogs bounce!!!
I don't think I want to know . . . . Smile
Back to top Go down
Taylor Marie
Powerhouses
Taylor Marie

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 11:15 pm

okeefem99 wrote:
Anne E. wrote:
okeefem99 wrote:

Okay, but my point is that we can find a farm so any type of fruit or vegatble isn't far away.

OOORRR we could have people donate food? Cheaper
Back to top Go down
okeefem99

okeefem99

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 4:14 pm

There are 400 kids on the elementary side plus . . . . . . lots on the middle school side! I have a feeling we won't get enough donations.
Back to top Go down
okeefem99

okeefem99

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 4:19 pm

We should start a school garden! We can do it for science classes or home-ec or something, and it could bring in some fruits/veggies! My family always grows a garden and everything tastes really good!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Taylor Marie
Powerhouses
Taylor Marie

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 7:11 pm

We've suggested a garden before, and then same question comes up every time, "Who takes care and harvests everything during the summer?"
Back to top Go down
Anne E.
Powerhouses
Anne E.

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Taylor Marie wrote:
okeefem99 wrote:
Anne E. wrote:
okeefem99 wrote:

OOORRR we could have people donate food? Cheaper

I don't think we can donate food to our school cafeteria, they have to purchase it from somewhere. All we can do is give our school board a petition listing all of the changes we want for Stafford County Public School's food menu.
Back to top Go down
Anne E.
Powerhouses
Anne E.

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:13 pm

@okee~ We do have a flower garden at our school, but take a look at it. There are weeds everywhere, old mulch, and who waters it??? Tay, Lix, and I have taken care of it for spring break, and it was a mess! Now it is a bit better, but who else would be willing to care for it??? Now imagine how hectic it would be to have a food garden....one who have to also make sure the food was not eaten by animals and harvested at just the right time.
Back to top Go down
okeefem99

okeefem99

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 12:44 pm

I would do it, but it's kinda hard to do 500 miles away.
Back to top Go down
Taylor Marie
Powerhouses
Taylor Marie

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 7:48 pm

hehe just a lil bit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food   Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food Empty

Back to top Go down

Crud from a Can: Cafeteria Food
Page 1 of 1